Friday, September 12, 2014

Mr. and Mrs. 12th Floor

I first met Mr. Chu one day on the elevator in my building. (That's right: I have an elevator!) He was kind and introduced himself. We chatted for a bit. I found out that he is a history professor in my university. In his broken English he said, "My English is no good. My housewife English is good." I would soon meet his wife, and she is just as sweet as can be.

Over the next week, I kept running into them again and again. We would laugh and have small talk. One day, a serious-looking note was posted to my door, and I wasn't sure what to do. So, I went up to the 12th floor and asked Mr. Chu about it. Apparently, the entire city was changing from coal gas to natural gas, and we needed to buy a new stove that very day. Mr. Chu helped me to call my landlord, and then walked with me to find where the stoves were being sold on the side of the road. He inquired about all of them, helped me get a special deal, and got someone to come install it for me. What a great neighbor to have!

A few days later, on Mid-Autumn Festival, there was a knock at my door. The Chus came and brought me a box of delicious moon-cakes.





I hope that this relationship can grow and deepen over the next two years. I am so grateful to our Great Redeemer for giving me some good neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment