Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Beijing Happiness

A friend recently told me about the four types of happiness in ancient China:

1. A desert getting rain after a long drought

2. The first night you are married

3. Having great success in an exam or challenege

4. Seeing friends in an unfamiliar place.

I got to experience this last kind of happiness during my weekend in Beijing. 

I had known that I would need to go to the Capital sometime this semester for an appointment with the Embassy, so when my BCF (best Chinese friend) told me she was needing to go as well, we made a plan to go together.

The first thing to greet me in Beijing: a subway performer
We ended up staying at separate places because that was cheaper (free!). I got to stay with a wonderful friend who is also with my org. We had so much fun at her house, baking fresh cinnamon rolls, watching Dr. Who, cooking meals, and dancing and singing along with show-tunes.

The ingredients are ready (thanks to the amazing Amanda)


Before they went into the oven. Coincidentally, I didn't take a picture AFTER they came out of the oven, because we were too busy eating them. :)




On Friday, I went to the Embassy. There were hundreds of Chinese people waiting there for a visa, and I only saw two other Americans. Everything went smoothly, though, and I should have a new passport soon.

the line outside the Embassy

Friday night, we visited Renmin University and helped the team there with an English Corner. This team does such a good job with their English Corner, and I got many wonderful ideas. It was also good to see friends. I'm so blessed to have two countries full of friends.

On Saturday, Song and I met at the Summer Palace. We met a new friend outside, and then journeyed together through the complex.


What I have learned, though, is that almost every Chinese scenic destination is just full of stairs!! We climbed thousands of stairs that day. We also took a ride around the lake in a paddle-boat.


Stairs Stairs Everywhere!



That night, we went to Peking University to visit more friends (who had no idea I was coming!) The look on their faces was priceless when we arrived. I wish I could have captured that on camera. We took a tour of the campus and then went out for Yunan food.

Miguel de Cervantes
With Old Friends
Yunan fish - yum! (and spicy!)
Now, I'm back in Zhengzhou, back to normal life... as normal as life in China can be.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, these pics are simply stunning and your posts area always so fascinating and enjoyable to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed your blog post. The photos are great. Nice story. Lifting you up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sarah, another great adventure for you!
    And I recognized one of your former students at Peking university!

    ReplyDelete