Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Visit to My BCF's Home

When I returned to Zhengzhou after my conference, I received a message from my BCF (best Chinese friend) that she was in the hospital, and had been for several days. They had found a lump and were going to do surgery to remove it. I asked if I could come and visit her in the hospital, but she said it would be best to visit her home once she was released.

So, about one week later, I took the bus downtown, transferred a few times, and found her family's apartment. Her parents and brother welcomed me graciously, along with her adorable little niece.

Then, we began the work of making lunch.


Yes, I once again made jiaozi. This time, though, her father showed me a new way to fold them, AND IT IS GENIUS! I was folding like a pro (well, maybe not quite a pro) before long. 



Her mom made mini jiaozi for the little girl. That took a lot of skill! 


Our feast in the end. It was delicious! Her father even made his own sausage! This can give you a picture of a traditional family meal in China. 


After eating, we watched a little bit of the Olympics. Curling was the only sport showing at the time, so we switched to a documentary called "The History of the World." It just so happened to be speaking about ancient Rome, and even showed the One who died to save it. What an amazing opportunity for conversation with the whole family.

Then, my friend and I went back to her little room, did some online shopping for Chinese textbooks, and then curled up for a nap on her bed. I really loved this moment, because I felt a sense of belonging, which is a rare feeling for me where I am. I treasure this friendship.

Next week, my BCF and I will journey to Beijing for a few days together. I'm so glad to have a napping, online shopping, and travel buddy.



4 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah! I'm so glad you have a BCF :) I like that term too. And what a great visit! That food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story, Sarah! So happy for you to feel a special sense of belonging there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have a BCF. Hope you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful with you for your BCF. Your dad provides all we need, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete