Sunday, February 17, 2013

Jennie in Zhengzhou

I have the most wonderful sister who traveled around the world to see me!!!

Here are some highlights from Jennie's time here:

1. Christmas

Chinese tradition is to give apples to friends on Christmas Eve. Here is my haul:


most of the apples have cool designs on them
What to do with all of these apples? Jennie and I made apple cake!!!! Yum!

On Christmas Day, 80 of my post-graduate students showed up at my apartment to wish me a Merry Christmas. They gave me a photo album with a picture from each of them and a note they had written. I cried. Then, they each wanted a picture, so Jennie and I smiled for about 80 pictures. It would have been great, if I wasn't so sick (stomach bug). But, I'm glad I stuck through.

Some of the notes that were inside:

"Dear Sarah,

You are my first foreign teacher. We love you very much for your beauty and humor. You have been a qualified teacher and even better friend. Thank you for all that you have done. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Lara"

"Dear Sarah,

I like attending your classes, and I felt very happy in your classes. You taught me cooperation and how to think. I love you. I hope that you are always leading a happy life.

Yours,
Hope"

"Dear Sarah,

Welcome to China! Merry Christmas! 

Enthusiastic, kind-hearted, patient Sarah with the brightest smile. You always see person from the best side, which makes you really beautiful. Do you think that we could be friends? Call me maybe.

Catherine"

Love them! My students are such an encouragment.

2. Cooking

I invited some of my sophomores over to cook with Jennie and I. They ended up kicking us out of the kitchen and did most of the cooking themselves. But, it was a fun time, and it gave Jennie a chance to get to know some of them. I love these girls


Jennie and I also did some cooking of our own. We made Mexican dinner for my team, and other random dishes throughout the week. Jennie is a great cook, and it was so nice to eat her yummy food (especially her famous mashed potatoes!!!)

3. Shaolin Temple

This is the birthplace of kung-fu, and is only about an hour away from where I live (though it takes a bit longer to get there using public transportation. Jennie and I had a great time exploring the sites.

4. Puzzle!

I love puzzles, and Jennie gets them as gifts for me often. She always tries to find really challenging ones. This year, she brought one for my birthday, and it was awesome. Here it is finished:


Oh, and we had hot pot!
Can you count how many layers I had on?

1 comment: