Sunday, February 24, 2013

Not Sure How to Respond to That

I taught my first two classes of the semester this morning, and they went very well. I am happy to be back with my students, and am looking forward to teaching. I have so many new ideas, and I'm ready to use them. I will have two classes this afternoon, and I have an awesome lesson prepared!!

Oh, and there are now street vendors on campus selling pineapple on a stick!!!! What a magical place this is.

On to the main story for the day: I finish teaching and begin walking down the hallway. One of the Chinese English teachers, whom I have spoken with a few times, stops me and says, "Hello, Sarah. You are more beautiful this semester because you are thinner. It must be because you have not adapted to Chinese food."

Um... thank you???

It's funny to me that Chinese culture can be both more vague and more blunt than American culture on different matters. They are very vague when discussing plans or schedules or agreeing to do anything. On the other hand, they are very blunt when talking about weight, salary, possessions, etc. Very interesting.
 

2 comments:

  1. Crazily enough, you will miss that bluntness. I miss people telling me that my hair really did look better BEFORE the haircut and that I have gained five pounds. At least it keeps it real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of honesty is rewarding. Americans really love to be comforting rather than truthful. I also enjoy it though when someone does take my feelings into account and still tells the truth. That's important.

    ReplyDelete