Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Two Questions for Ms. Sarah

Yesterday, I had my first group of Post Graduates for the semester. They are great students, and all clinical medicine majors, with specialties ranging from oncology to obstetric to artificial reproduction. It should be a good year, and I am hoping to include lessons on English medical terminology and patient care in the class. I'm excited.

On the first day of my classes, I make my students fill out information cards on index cards. It has basics like their name, contact information, major, and hometown. On the back of the card, I have them list three things:

1. Two things I want to learn in this class
2. Two facts about me
3. Two questions for Ms. Sarah

Under the first section (two things I want to learn in this class), the most common responses are:
1. Better pronunciation
2. American culture
3. American medicine
Some random ones from this year:
4. I want to know some things about tennis
5. I want to understand what you said in class
6. I want to be able to speak like a Native American (that one just made me laugh... you mean Cherokee?)

Two facts about me:
1. I want to travel around the world.
2. I like delicious food.
3. I'm an introvert boy. 
4. I like swimming and sleeping.
5. I listen to music when I am happy or sad.
6. I am lively and make friends with others
7. I like English very much.
8. I like the Gossip Girl.
9. I am a girl who loves laughing.
10. I love NBA, my best star is Kobe Bryant!
11. I desire happiness and freedom in life.

Two Questions for Ms. Sarah (This is where things got interesting)
1. Why did you come to China?
2. What is your sport?
3. Do you love your job and your students? (yes yes yes)
4. Do you like Chinese food? (when it tastes good)
5. Do you have a boyfriend?
6. Would you date a Chinese man?
7. How long will you stay in China?
8. What are you fond of? stamps? music? (stamps?!?!? - so funny)
9. Do you like the weather here?
10. When are you free?
11. What is your vexation? (What? My vexation? Someone is trying to impress with the vocab)
12. Do you like anime movies?
13. Are you married?
14. What do you think of the name "Tyler"? (Umm... I think it's fine...)
15. May I be your friend?
16. Do you miss your family? (yes)
17. Can you sing a song for the class? (no)
18. Can you give me a hug?
19. Do you like to travel?

Awkward question of the day is...

20. Can I often touch you after we finish these classes?

Um... no.

I'm hoping that something was just lost in translation. They probably wanted to use the idiom "keep in touch" or something akin to that. At least, I hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny!!...Hannah and I had a good laugh with this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Love you!!!
    #4- maybe you have not adapted to Chinese cooking yet...lol :)
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete